Table Of Content

November 8, 2022

6 Habits that will help you improve your UI design skills

One of the challenges in the UI/UX design industry is the requirements needed to continue to thrive in the profession. In order to survive in this industry you will need to level up your designer skills every day. In this article, Capi shares with you 6 must-have habits for UI/UX Designers to improve their professional skills and have a better quality of work.

Set design goals for yourself

Design is a process of hard work and study. A designer can only grow with regular practice and hard work. You also need to set yourself precise goals. Despite having the soul of a freedom artist, a designer can't always go without knowing where he wants to go, right?

Here's a four-note process as you set any goal for your design career.

  • Choose achievable goals
  • Set deadlines for each goal
  • Create reminders/notes for each deadline
  • Reward yourself when you reach your goal
  • Prioritize goals: There are countless opportunities and options, so it's easy for a designer to get lost in the multitude of goals. Establish a clear vision of what you want to achieve and make a practice plan.
  • Set challenging goals: Creating challenges will help designers be more productive on time-bound projects.

Stop being too OCD

“Done is better than perfect” For a perfectionist like designers, creating a perfect product, pixel-by-pixel alignment is something that is in their blood. However, the effort to create a perfect product takes a lot of work and time, and this can delay your individual deadlines or worse, delay the work of the whole team.

To avoid being a perfectionist, and your OCD(Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder). You should create a minimum standard and finish the product design before the deadline is over.

“Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good”

Take note of everything

Working in the creative industry requires you to constantly come up with new ideas every day. But how can you remember them all if you don't have the tools to record them and repeat them later? To solve this problem, always carrying a pen and a small notebook will be the simplest solution. In addition, you can also use other technology products to help you with this such as phones or tablets. But keep that in mind writing on paper helps people remember longer and better than typing ideas on Word or Doc pages.

Leveling your design skills by taking notes

Find more inspiration

Creativity takes inspiration and there are many ways to find it. In this article, Capi will help you find inspiration with the 8-2. rule

Follow a simple rule - spend 80% of your time working, and the remaining 20% ​​on inspiration. In this information age, there are thousands of websites that can help you with this

For UI/UX designers the following websites must be familiar: Dribbble, Behance, Evanto,...

Don't limit yourself to UI/UX. Engage in other creative activities like traveling to new places, taking photos, learning how to play an instrument, or even composing music that enriches your imagination.

Or, advertising is full of good ideas. Designers can learn about analogies, metaphors, or other techniques to create compelling designs.

Learn to accept criticism

Whether we are a designer or content creators or any other product creators, we are all guilty of fearing that the product we have just created will receive negative criticism. At times like these, remember the following quote:

“Designers are not designing for themselves, they are designed for users”

This is even more true if you are a UX designer and get tons of user feedback during product testing.

Therefore, learn the habit of putting down your ego and seeing the opinions of people around you, whether it's a colleague or a user. Remember, it's okay to be wrong sometimes because you can learn something from the feedback. Receiving feedback and criticism is certainly not a pleasant thing, but it is the only way to improve your skills and become a better designer.

Here are some tips for you:

  • Learn to filter criticisms. Some critiques will tend to be based on personal opinion rather than causality.
  • Make sure people share their real thoughts on your work
  • Get feedback on a regular basis.
  • Don't limit yourself to just the design community. Learn from people from other creative industries such as film.

Take a Break

Hard work doesn't always get you promoted. The downside of working in the creative industry is that you will often feel exhausted both physically and mentally. At such times, it will be difficult for you to continue to generate new ideas. Instead, stay away from the computer. Go for a walk and take a breath. Take time for yourself more and if necessary, take a break from your current job to reflect and have a clear picture.

Related Posts

Let's work

Together